By D. Douglas Caulkins, Ann T. Jordan
The 1st entire advisor to anthropological reports of complicated organizations• bargains the 1st accomplished connection with the anthropological learn of advanced organizations
• info how organizational concept and learn in enterprise has followed anthropology’s key inspiration of tradition, inspiring new insights into organizational dynamics and development
• Highlights pioneering theoretical views starting from symbolic and semiotic ways to neuroscientific frameworks for learning modern organizations
• Addresses the comparative and cross-cultural dimensions of firm enterprises and of non-governmental agencies operating within the globalizing economy
• subject matters lined comprise organizational dynamics, entrepreneurship, innovation, social networks, cognitive versions and crew development, organizational dysfunctions, worldwide networked enterprises, NGOs, unions, digital groups, company tradition and social responsibility
• provides a physique of labor that displays the breadth and intensity of the sector of organizational anthropology and makes the case for the significance of the sector within the anthropology of the twenty-first century
Read Online or Download A Companion to Organizational Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar culture books
Traditional knowledge says that know-how swap is exponential, giving us an ever-growing variety of intriguing new items. in keeping with this view, we are living in an unparalleled golden age of technological growth. now not so, in keeping with destiny Hype. writer Bob Seidensticker, who has an intimate figuring out of know-how on specialist, theoretical, and educational degrees, asserts that today's achievements aren't extraordinary.
The face of leisure has replaced significantly during the last decade—and dangerously so. Stars like Britney, Paris, Lindsay, Amy Winehouse—and their media enablers—have altered what we think of "normal" habit. in line with dependancy professional Dr. Drew Pinsky and company and leisure specialist Dr. S. Mark younger, a excessive share of celebrities be afflicted by features linked to scientific narcissism—vanity, exhibitionism, entitlement, exploitativeness—and the remainder of us, specifically youngsters, are mirroring what we witness nightly on our television and desktop monitors.
A provocative, eye-opening examine, The reflect impression sounds a well timed caution, elevating vital questions on our altering culture—and offers insights for folks, adolescents, and someone who wonders what the cult of superstar is de facto doing to America.
Purifying Empire explores the fabric, cultural and ethical fragmentation of the limits of imperial and colonial rule within the British empire within the overdue 19th and early 20th centuries. It charts how a specific biopolitical undertaking, particularly the force to control the obscene in past due nineteenth-century Britain, used to be reworked from a countrywide right into a worldwide and imperial enterprise after which re-localized in assorted colonial contexts, India and Australia, to serve decidedly assorted ends.
- Violence, Culture And Censure
- Religion and Its Monsters
- Mixing Race, Mixing Culture: Inter-American Literary Dialogues
- Parlons ciyawo : langue et culture du Mozambique
- The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century
Additional info for A Companion to Organizational Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
The method uses ethnographic ﬁeldwork in an organization to identify important narratives, key words or phrases, and topics of discussion. Interviews with members at all levels of the organization concerning the services that the organization provides and the challenges that it faces usually reveal a series of domain elements that can be rated or ranked in interviews with a wider sample of organizational members. Which services are most important? Least? Which challenges are most problematic? Consensus analysis (Romney et al.
1997). Whatever happened to organizational anthropology? A review of the ﬁeld of organizational ethnography and anthropological studies. Human Relations, 50 (9), 1147–1175. Ben-Ari, E. and El-Ron, E. (2002). Blue helmets and white armor: multi-nationalism and multi-culturalism among UN peacekeeping forces. City and Society, 13 (2), 271–302. Bennett, L. et al. (2006). Final Report: Practicing Advisory Work Group (PAWG). Arlington, VA: American Anthropological Association. Beyerstein, L. (2007).
Elisa Sobo and colleagues have written extensively on organizational issues in medical institutions. Her work includes a study at Children’s Hospital and Health Center, San Diego in which an Employee Leadership Council was formed to alleviate low employee moral resulting from organizational reengineering. The issues uncovered in the Council meetings included the need for an employee– management liaison, better methods to deﬁne, clarify, and improve accountability throughout the hospital with a special focus on physician accountability, and ongoing problems of communication (Sobo and Sadler 2002).